Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Phil Town

Last week I went to an Anthony Robbins seminar (my company paid for the ticket). It was a one day seminar featuring Anthony but it featured other speakers as well. One of these speakers was Phil Town. I had never heard of him before. He’s basic story is that he served in Vietnam for 2 years, came back to the US, struggled, turned in to a long-haired, leather wearing, biker (his own words) and became a river guide on Grand Canyon’s Colorado River. On one of his tours, he took a group of Outward Bound trustees and ran into some trouble. He got them out of trouble fine and so one of the trustees offered to teach Phil everything he knew about investing. Phil is now a multi-millionaire.

During the session, Phil showed a way to invest and gain 25+% returns versus 8-10% you typically get on standard investments. He made it all seem very easy. He had everyone riled up about this knowledge. Then he hits us with what seemed like an infomercial. He told everyone that in order to be able to do what he does using the tools he showed in his presentation; you need to take a two day course (being offered in the upcoming weekend and the following week). The course, normally priced at around $6,400 was available to us, today, for one low price of only $995. And you had to sign up in the next 15 minutes. You should have seen the people run up the stairs to sign up. I even considered it myself – if I didn’t have a toddler – hmmmmm.

Anyway, the colleagues I was with all looked at each other and asked “Are you going to do it? Are you?”. None of us did but one guy said he’d look to see if there was another product that would provide us with the same tools but for free (or very cheap). I’ve yet to receive any info from him although I’ve looked around a bit myself. I’ll continue to research and post what info I can. I did a search on Phil to see if there were any negative postings, etc. there on him that would lead me to believe he’s not being straight but I haven’t found anything yet of note.

In the meantime, I’m keen to see if there’s any way for me to move to the next step of investing and/or increase income. Please provide me with any suggestions or ideas you have about any of this.

No comments: