Thursday, August 23, 2007

Updated Spreadsheet

Here is our expenses spreadsheet for July. Some expenses such as dining and gas are higher because we were on vacation the last week or so. I have taken many of your comments about our high grocery expenses to heart. I even posted a question about what others spend on groceries on a finance forum I frequent. I don't know how some people are able to spend so little on groceries. I do admit that we spend a fair amount on meat/poultry/fish as we typically have something like that every night. But otherwise, I don't think that we are overly extravagant on our groceries. On my post tomorrow I'm going to break down our grocery bill and see where our money is going. I'm hoping you can all chime in and tell me how that compares to your grocery bill.

6 comments:

JW said...

I'm very impressed with the fact that you are only spending so little on entertainment. How are you able to do that? Currently, I've allocated $46 for the month and my wife has insisted that I increase it to $100.

Debt Free or Bust said...

JW... we have a toddler and can't get out very much to entertain :) Not sure what you are including in your entertainment expenses but I basically include movies, theatre, etc. While we were on vacation we went to the zoo, a play area for the baby, etc. but that's it.

Anonymous said...

Do you go out to lunch all the time? Would you be willing to start bringing leftovers to save money?

Debt Free or Bust said...

No, I don't go out to lunch all of the time. In fact, this month I've been much better. But we were on vacation for the last week or so and were away and eating out. My husband tends to eat out lunches much more often than I do. But there is certainly room for improvements. I agree with you.

Anonymous said...

What do you consider toiletries? I am a single parent with a 19 year old son and 17 year old daughter - I never spend that much on toiletries. My average food bill is $200.00 every two weeks. My son is 6'5" - he eats all the time.

Debt Free or Bust said...

Toilettries/meds include shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving items, Aspirin, etc.