Sunday, February 10, 2008

Back Again

I know I've been gone awhile. A lot has happened since my last update. I was laid off on December 11th and found a new job starting on January 11th. My new job has the exact same salary as my last job with good benefits and due to the law here to be given 60 days notice after layoff I just received my final pay from my old company on Friday. So I had a week or 2 where I was double paid. And on this Friday, I will be paid out my severance. And then on Feb. 22nd, I'll be paid a bonus for my service last year. We've decided to deplete most of our savings, use some of my severance and pay off all cc debt - approx. 13k. We should have used our savings to reduce our cc debt before but we were saving it in case I went on mat leave again. We've now seen the light.

Here is my plan:

CC Debt $13,000

Cash -$1,500
Savings -$5,300
Severance -$7,200

Remaining -$1,000

So, we'll have an extra $1,000 to spare towards some purchases we want to make. And with the remaining amount of my severance that I rolled in to RRSPs, the bonus that I rolled in to RRSPs, my regular RRSPs contributions for 2007 and child care expenses that I can claim, I'm expecting quite a large tax refund. We need to purchase some furniture items that we will use the tax refund on. But we'll need to put some $$ away towards the tax amount I'll be owing in 2009.

It's so much to think about. Now I have to update my charts. I always have problems updating them and making them appear on my site.

No comments: