Friday, February 15, 2008

I’m addicted to my finances

Since we decided to focus on our finance issues last spring I’ve been pretty diligent in keeping track of our finances. I started this blog, visit others blogs and financial forums regularly, created a budget, tracked our expenditures, moved cc debt around to low interest (or no interest) ccs, and paid as much spare cash as we could on our cc debt. I had a period of time in the fall where I wasn’t as diligent as I had been in tracking everything or writing in my blog but I was still monitoring the situation. But now I have a renewed interest in our finances - to a point of being a bit obsessive about it. I am excited that we now have the cash to pay off our cc debt, focus on student loan debt and make some furniture/home improvement purchases. I find myself thinking about it constantly and going in and playing with the spreadsheet every chance I get.

Once we pay off those ccs over the next week, then I’ll be focusing on the other things… including filing my taxes that will net me a large return (I expect). And although my co. isn’t going to match my RRSP contributions until I’ve been here for 6 months, I’m going to contribute on my own in anticipation of A. needing the contributions to offset what I’ll owe in taxes next year and B. saving for my retirement. We also have to open an RESP for my daughter, save some of the tax refund for taxes next year, have some short term savings available for emergencies, etc.

There are still lots to do and think about so I’m a bit addicted to it. But it’s all good addiction, right?!?

No comments: