Wednesday, May 16, 2007

How to spend $600 in one easy step

I called and had 2 lawn maintenance companies assess our lawn and provide a quote for repairing what is a mess of a lawn. They both agreed... it needs lots of help. We have grub damage, weeds, and is generally quite brown. It needs dethatching, fertilization, top dressing and overseeding. Both quotes needed at least one call back to the company to have them interpreted. And of course, they offer discounts when you buy the annual "package". So, with all of our debt to be paid, what do we do????? Sign up for an annual package and the grub removal/"don't let our lawn die" commitment. I did pick the quote that was over $200 less than the other. It seems that one wanted to charge almost $300 for top dressing. I'm expecting that the "winner" of the quotes will be able to accomplish this without needing to use dirt laced with gold.

I know that it seems like we are going backwards in our debt reduction quest. But if we don't do something to save our lawn now, we'll have to replace the whole thing by the end of the summer. So, we aren't spending $600... we're saving $2000. We're spreading the payments over 3 months and I'm going to use my savings to pay for most of it. So, at least we won't be adding to our cc debt. We also need to install sods in our backyard. And after seeing those three quotes, we have decided to do this ourselves. It will be interesting to do with a 1 year old but we're going to try. I just can't part with $3000+ to add some grass to our yard.

Oh yeah... and speaking of yards: I'm participating in a yard sale on this Saturday. That is, if the weather holds up. They are calling for rain. I'm doing it at a friend's house. I have a number of items to sell but I'm pricing them pretty reasonable so that I can get rid of them. I don't want to have to bring anything home again. Especially the larger stuff. I'm hoping to make at least $200. That's my goal.

No comments: